Friday, February 1, 2019

Reading My Shelves in 2019: Literature Shelf 2

As I settle into reading my shelves, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of the project. At the same time, I am really looking forward to making progress, small as it may be.

On my February Shelf, I have 8 read books and 21 unread books. (In volumes containing more than one book, I have counted each book separately.)


Read: (and these are all books I consider worth re-reading, otherwise I wouldn't be keeping them)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton
The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Unread:
Bridge on the River Kwai by Pierre Boulle
Lorna Doone by Blackmore
Prester John by John Buchan
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
The Arabian Nights - Sir Richard Burton
The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler
The Plague by Camus
The Outsider by Camus
My Early Life (excerpt) by Churchill
The Island Race by Churchill
Call for the Dead by le Carre
My Antonia by Willa Cather
Don Quixote by Cervantes
Don Quixote (abridged by Susan Sheridan)
Don Quixote (retold by Judge Parry)
The Riverside Chaucer
Selected Stories by Anton Chekhov
The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie
Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie
After the Funeral by Agatha Christie
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Of these, I find myself particularly attracted to Selected Stories by Anton Chekhov, Don Quixote retold by Judge Parry, My Antonia, and The Good Earth. I will probably read one or two of the Agatha Christie titles when I need light reading, too. There's a lot of good reading on this shelf.

I expect that, like last month, I will only be able to get through a couple of these books. I have several additional books to read with my study group (on Saint Patrick and Saint Columba and the Brendan Voyage), and Middlemarch to read with my book club (though I have till the end of March for that).