Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Commonplaces 7

Random notes from my week...

Saying
Yesterday, SA:
"So is it the twenty-fourth? Or the twenty-threeth?"

Singing
MM (17 months) has been going around singing "Happy, happy, happy." I'm not sure if it's from "Trust and Obey" (To be happy in Jesus) or "There is a Happy Land." He also sings "Holy, Holy, Holy" and "Up above the world so high" from "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." The fun thing about the latter is that the tune is recognizable. I've waited a long time for a musical baby...

Watching
Stephen and I have been watching Poirot on Netflix. There's something sweet and gentle about it. It doesn't try to hook you in or manipulate you to watch just one more episode. It is clean, and that's something very rare. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Listening
The boys have been enjoying Songs for Saplings as they learn their catechism. I wasn't sure about the songs at first... the rhythms seemed complex, the lines long. There is a lot of repetition, and that's good for memorization. It is clear to me now that even for my children (who can't really carry a tune yet), memorization with music sticks better than memorization without music.

Reading
I've been reading Charlotte Mason's volume 1 along with a reading group at Ambleside Online. I'm still hoping to write about what I'm learning soon. I may have to drop some perfectionism first and just type my notes as they are.

Have a great week, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't watch Poirot yet, now I think I will :-) Thanks for the recommendation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching Poirot and reading Agatha Christie when I was a teen. Great show!
    To answer your question from my blog: all the Pirates books besides one were from the library. Adrienne will want to keep the one book, she still loves everything pirate! I imagine the library here would have some good books about pirates too. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I could bring the lapbook to an event we both attend...

    ReplyDelete