Thursday, February 4, 2016

Laugh of the Day

I was reading about Edward III and the Battle of Crecy to SA(7) this afternoon from Our Island Story. ("Our Island" refers to Britain in this case.) He did not narrate very well after the first segment, which was about how King Edward divided his 20,000 men into three groups in order to fight against King Philip of France, who was coming with 120,000 men.

I was about to go on when SA said, "I was wondering about the 20,000 men in three groups."

"That's a good question," said I. "How many men would be in each group?"

Pause.

"Okay," I thought, "I'll help him get started."

"Well, I think it would be more than 6,000," I began, "Because three groups of 6,000 would make 18,000."

"Six thousand, six hundred sixty-six dot six seven," SA answered.

!!!

Startled laughter. I mean, I know he's good at math, but I wasn't quite expecting that.

"Well," I said, "I don't think you would want to divide a man into parts for this purpose, so you'd probably want to have one extra person in two of the groups instead of the 'dot six seven'."

We went on with the reading and narration, finishing the lesson fifteen minutes later.

Then I noticed that he had my cell phone. Which has a calculator.

That explains the "dot six seven." I didn't think he was that familiar with decimals yet.