Friday, July 5, 2013

My Birthday as a Tourist

As my birthday approached this year, I could see it was not going to be very exciting. No one was visiting, Stephen had no plans for me, and my boys are still a little young to be coming up with surprises. I decided that if my birthday was going to be special, I was the one who was going to have to make it special. I decided to play tourist for the day.
The Harbour Hippo is a combination bus/boat that does tours of downtown Charlottetown and the Charlottetown harbour. I bought tickets for myself and the boys (It was not cheap - $50! But since it was my birthday...) and we set off.

Somehow I didn't manage to get a picture of the outside of this behemoth...this happens sometimes when you're juggling three children five and under.
We saw Province House, where the 1864 Charlottetown Conference took place that was the beginning of the process that resulted in the Confederation of Canada in 1867. (Though, interestingly, Prince Edward Island did not join until 1873.)

We also saw a number of other historic buildings...here we are passing the Kirk of St. James (incidentally, this is the church where we were married) and Beaconsfield Historic House.


Into the water. SA liked this part. JJ and MM were both sleeping by this time.


Our tour guide Bekah serenaded us with a Stan Rogers tune "45 Years from Now". She looked kind of like Anne of Green Gables, with her red hair and big smile.


And to crown our lovely outing, I won tickets to see "Anne and Gilbert", the musical about Anne of Green Gables' romance with Gilbert Blythe! I was so excited!!

I'm so thankful I was able to find someone to look after the children for me while I went to this! I wasn't able to get ahold of Stephen, so I went with my friend Christina, and we had a lovely time. My favourite song (though I am a "Come from Away") was "You're Island Through and Through".

It was a wonderful birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a great birthday present!
    I liked that song, too.
    Kevin was just saying that you've lived on pei longer than you've lived in nb, so you're well on your way to becoming an islander, I'd say.
    Though you will never have Aiken status.
    It's a dubious honour, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your birthday post. It takes me back to our honeymoon on the island. :)

    ReplyDelete