Thursday, May 29, 2014

May 2014 Favourite Read-Aloud Roundup



It's already time for my May read-aloud roundup! May has been a funny month. Cold weather-wise, and a bit disjointed school-wise. But we read some great books together.

One of our very favourite books this month was Two of Everything, by Lily Toy Hong. It's a Chinese folktale about a man who finds a pot in his garden that, you guessed it, makes an extra one of everything he put into it. The story has some funny twists and turns, and I think that's why the boys kept asking me to read it again. SA also enjoyed the math aspect of it. Five coins turned into ten coins, which turned into twenty, etc. He likes things like that.





Another book we loved this month was Sunflower House, by Eve Bunting. We have already bought sunflower seeds to make our own sunflower house this summer, to be planted as soon as it gets warm (hopefully tomorrow!).


And I know I don't have to introduce anyone to Charlotte's Web! We are about half-way through, and the boys are enjoying it very much. The chapters are quite short, so it works very well for a read-aloud at this stage. (Though remember that Charlotte does die at the end, so you may need to consider that before reading it depending on the sensitivity of your child.)

We are also enjoying A.A. Milne's poetry at our poetry teatimes. I must say, it's a breath of fresh air after a lot of Mother Goose and A Child's Garden of Verses. Not that I have anything against the latter...I just love Milne better! And I like his poetry even better than his prose. Anyone else out there? Raise your hand...


I am linking up with Read-Aloud Thursday. Click through to find more great books to read aloud!

Edit: I'm also linking up with Book Sharing Monday.